Who can forget Walt Disney’s famous words, “You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world…but it requires people to make the dream a reality.”
From the instant a Guest starts planning their Walt Disney World Resort vacation to the moment they begin their return home, the focus is on delivering legendary Guest service and one-of-a-kind experiences. Since Walt Disney World Resort opened in 1971, the company has relied on Cast Members to exceed the expectations of the millions of diverse Guests who visit the resort each year.
By the Numbers
When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, approximately 5,500 Cast Members worked at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, the resort is the largest single-site employer in the United States, employing more than 74,000 Cast Members in over 3,000 different job classifications.
|*Includes Florida-site Disney corporate employees|
Cast Member Offerings
Walt Disney World Resort values Cast Members and the magic they create for guests each and every day. The company offers a wide variety of programs, services and benefits that are designed to make a difference in Cast Members’ lives.
- Walt Disney World Resort offers a comprehensive pay and benefits package, including several options for medical, dental and vision coverage, to eligible Cast Members and their dependents. All Disney medical options cover in-network preventive care at 100%.
- The Center for Living Well is taking the hassle out of healthcare for Disney Cast Members and their families enrolled in a Disney-Cigna health plan option. Cast experience the ultimate in integrated care and convenience with their doctor, lab, X-ray and pharmacy all in one onsite location. Plus, their insurance is always accepted, their confidentiality is held in the highest regard and their busy schedules are easily accommodated.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ Be Well program offers an innovative collection of programs, tools and resources that Cast Members and their families can use to improve their health. The wide range of wellness offerings include personal health assessments, free, on-site screenings, flu vaccinations, fitness programs, Cast Exclusive events, an on-site gym, healthy food options in cafeterias and vending machines, a customized wellness web site, face-to-face health coaching for all Cast Members and specialized programs for Cast Members with chronic conditions, such as diabetes. Eligible Cast Members, spouses and partners can each earn up to $300 by participating in the Wellness Rewards program.
- Whether it’s learning Tai Chi or striking a batter out, Cast Members can pursue a variety of fitness offerings that bring the magic of Disney to their leisure activities. Cast Fitness sports leagues and classes are held throughout the year and all Cast Members have access to Mickey’s Retreat at Little Lake Bryan, a 19-acre recreation facility that offers swimming, a children’s play area, picnic pavilions, an all-purpose sports field and volleyball, tennis and basketball courts.
- The Learning Center, operated by The Central Florida YMCA, offers two on-site early learning centers for Cast Member children ages 0-12, with a focus on inspiring bright minds, strong bodies and kind hearts. The childcare centers offer extended days and hours of operation and opportunities for discounted tuition rates. Programs include primary care, back-up care, VPK, and school’s out camps.
- Grocery items are offered to Cast Members at near-wholesale prices at a convenient on-site store reflecting Disney’s commitment to providing affordable, healthier options for its Cast Members. From fresh fruits and vegetables to bread, rice, pasta, and more, items are the same high-quality ingredients served daily at Walt Disney World Resort restaurants.
- All full-time and part-time Walt Disney World Cast Members are eligible to use pre-tax dollars from their paychecks for monthly bus passes resulting in savings each month that vary based on individual tax status.
- Disney University provides learning experiences to support the growth and development of Disney Cast Members, Crew Members and Imagineers worldwide and to perpetuate Disney’s unique brand of entertainment, innovation and service. Offerings include Disney Traditions orientation and leadership development programs as well as a variety of self-directed, career and professional development learning opportunities made easily accessible through The Walt Disney Company’s D Learn web site. In addition, eligible employees may also take advantage of the Company’s generous tuition reimbursement program.
- Disney supports Cast Members with their everyday life needs. LifeCare® is a free service that provides Cast Members with on-site seminars and access to information and resources to assist with parenting, childcare, aging, eldercare, financial and legal needs and more. From plumbers to pet sitters, homework help to home remodeling, specialists are ready to do the legwork and tell Cast Members and their families who is reliable, available and in their budget.
- Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Personal Life Resources, sponsored by LifeCare®, partner with businesses locally and throughout the country to offer Cast Members special discounts on products and services such as food, merchandise, travel and more. Internet access to the hundreds of available discounts ensures Cast Members have convenient access day or night.
- Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) is a core value for Walt Disney World, and is vitally important to our business and culture. D&I drives engagement, innovation and creativity, as well as fosters collaboration and continuous learning. Our culture of D&I enhances our business and community, creating relevant offerings for our Guests and an inclusive work environment for our Cast. Walt Disney World is committed to fostering a community where everyone is sincerely welcomed, valued and appreciated. Our Diversity Resource Groups (DRGs), which are open to all Cast, support and enhance our D&I goals through ideas and insight that help drive our business.
- Eligible Cast Members receive complimentary theme park admission to all four Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, as well as the theme parks at Disneyland Resort in California, Disneyland Resort Paris, Shanghai Disneyland, and Hong Kong Disneyland. Additionally, Cast Members are eligible for a number of discounts, including; merchandise, dining, Resort stays, Cruises, and many others.
- Walt Disney World Resort has a long tradition of recognizing and appreciating Cast Members, including for their years of service with the Company and for outstanding performance. Today, the company continues this tradition of showing appreciation for our Cast Member’s in a number of ways including events, awards, Magic Backstage prizes and engaging recognition tools and programs.
Updated Nov. 2, 2017